Re: Menu (Was: Re: Unimplemented AppKit classes)

From: Stefan Urbanek
Subject: Re: Menu (Was: Re: Unimplemented AppKit classes)
Date: Thu, 23 Jan 2003 13:03:50 +0100

On 2003-01-23 12:19:46 +0100 Alexander Malmberg <alexander@malmberg.org> wrote:

Stefan Urbanek wrote:
[snip]
How difficult it should be to change gui that way,
that we can have 'NSMenu' bundles with custom menu
interface, so developers can create and user can chose
what they like? Can something like that be achieved by
using NSInterface functions? (loading of interface bundles)

There is an interface for this. The patch (and a silly example) is here:
http://w1.423.telia.com/~u42308495/alex/sillytheme-0.0.tar.gz

Basically, you override whatever you need to override in a bundle and
set the defaults key GUIThemeBundles to the bundle(s) you want to load.
Some examples can be seen at http://www.roard.com/screenshots/ , and
there was a 'theme' for application-specific log files posted here a
while back.

(IMO) this is how gui customization should be done. -gui should come
with _one_ good, consistent interface (based on NeXTSTEP/OPENSTEP), and
those who want something to be different load bundles.

This is what I wanted to know, if there is a interface for custom gui parts
bundles. Something that on [[NSButton alloc] init] will return a buttom from
some budnle.

There should be bundles for:
- NSControl subclasses - this is what we can call 'Theme bundle'
- NSSavePanel and NSOpenPanel - with custom panels, and possibility for
Workspace based panel that was discussed on irc #gnustep some time ago
- NSMenu (this can cause problems with menu layout and menu items - compare
NeXT menu and OSX menu)

And there should be some preferences/defaults for those.

With bundle-based gui, gnustep will be more like Lego.
Stefan