Re: OpenStep: Advice Needed

From: Pascal Bourguignon
Subject: Re: OpenStep: Advice Needed
Date: Tue, 27 Nov 2001 01:54:29 +0100 (CET)

> I found three versions of OpenStep 4.2 on blackholeinc.com:
> - Special User / Developer
> - Commercial User
> - Academic Bundle
>
> It looks like the Academic Bundle offers more than the
> Special User / Developer version. It contains the EOF and
> extra books. Furthermore, a cd with WebObjects 3.5 is
> available for academic use.
>
> Which version should I choose?

Didn't you say that your application did not use EOF?

If you don't  need EOF, Special User / Developer  may be enough. Since
you don't want to deploy  your application on OPENSTEP, you should not
need the Commercial User license.

Even in the case where you  needed EOF, since your ultimate goal is to
port it to GNUstep, and gdl implements only EOF-1 API, I guess the EOF
bundled with  the Academic Bundle is  at least version 2  I guess, and
won't  be useful  to  you.   You can  use  EOF-1 ("ENTERPRISE  OBJECTS
FRAMEWORK 1.1") on OPENSTEP 4.2.

--
__Pascal_Bourguignon__              (o_ Software patents are endangering
()  ASCII ribbon against html email //\ the computer industry all around