Re: OpenStep: Advice Needed

From: Stefan Böhringer
Subject: Re: OpenStep: Advice Needed
Date: 27 Nov 2001 12:16:55 +0100

Hello,

there are some some AGP-drivers available (Matrox, ATI). However the
supported cards are old (for ATI you must use <= Rage LT; Rage 128 won't
work). Still you have the option of using the generic VESA driver.
Unfortunately it's VESA1.0, so you have to live with 60Hz, sometimes
interlaced.
I wonder wether anybody has tried the VESA1.0 driver under VMware.
Perhaps it will deny the refresh rate change. To get OPENSTEP up and
running in a modern environment I would recommend the Windows-Version
(this works for 98/ME/NT, don't know about 2k/XP). Honestly I don't
recall about the conversion scripts which are essential in our case (can
anybody tell?). If you are not liable to UNIXisms you will have
excellent compatibility.
Just one sidenote: The scripts were at least partially Perl. Perhaps
(which I had to check) the whole conversion process might be cut out of
the OPENSTEP environment (except for the nib files).
Back some time there was some initiative of Web-based nib-conversion.
This initiative, unfortunatly never came into being.

Hope this helps.

Best wishes, Stefan

Stefan Böhringer                   stefan.boehringer at uni-bochum.de
Molecular Human Genetics                      Phone: +49 234 32 28101
Ruhr-University Bochum, MA5/140                 Fax: +49 234 31 14196
44801 Bochum                                 http://mhg.uni-bochum.de