Re: OpenStep: Advice Needed

From: David Relson
Subject: Re: OpenStep: Advice Needed
Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2001 15:21:41 -0500

Richard,

When I've used OpenStep, it's always been the O.S. (mach kernel, etc.) on Intel hardware (typically Pentium with SCSI drives). I've not used OpenStep on NT or on Solaris.

That being said, converting a NextStep program to OpenStep is mostly tedious (rather than hard). OpenStep 4.2 includes migration tools (mostly scripts) that do much of the work.

It may be possible to buy OpenStep from Apple. I'm not certain, but I suspect they've discontinued it. I last bought a copy on eBay.

Good luck!

David