OpenStep: Advice Needed

From: Richard van Paasen
Subject: OpenStep: Advice Needed
Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2001 20:59:28 +0100

Hi,

Thank you for the comments about porting from NeXTstep
to OpenStep and GNUstep!

Based on the advice given in this discussion group, I decided
to port my application from NeXTstep to GNUstep via OpenStep.
Consequently, I need a machine that runs OpenStep 4.2. But,
I'm not sure about what I need to run it. If I'm right,
OpenStep is available for:

  A) Intel platform, Windows NT 4
  B) Intel platform, Sun Solaris (6,7,8?)
  C) Sun Sparc, Solaris (6,7,8?)
  D) The Mach thing too, but I don't know that stuff

I've two questions:

1)
Which is the best option for porting to OpenStep? Keeping in mind
that I need to port to Intel/Linux/GNUstep too, I'd guess that the
second option (Intel+Solaris) would be the way to go. This way, the
three platforms will all be unix-like. However, I'm new at this so
please correct me if I'm wrong!

2)
Where can I buy OpenStep 4.2?

Thanks for your help,