Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] ham/amateur getting started

From: Ron Economos
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] ham/amateur getting started
Date: Fri, 25 Dec 2015 13:14:26 -0800

The Ettus B200 will be the preferred ground station for AMSAT's Phase 4 satellite.

https://github.com/phase4ground/documents/blob/master/Papers_and_Presentations/AMSAT_DSP_Hardware_Paper_by_Mike_Parker.pdf

https://github.com/phase4ground/documents/

https://github.com/phase4ground/satellite_ground_emulator

Here's a video describing the project.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-pjsS4OLg8w

Ron

On 12/25/2015 01:02 PM, Markus Heller wrote:
Hi,

yes, what Ralph said is very true. The real strength of the USRP series
is it's high sampling speed. I own the USRP2, which is already around 5
years old and already did 100 MS per second, but it was rather expensive
at that time.

You can get much cheaper SDR hardware today such as the RedPitaya, or if
you just want to do receiving experiments, the RTLSDR USB stick is
probably unbeatable in terms of function vs price ratio.

You get 3,2 MSPS for 10 Euros.

Remember the Nyquist Theorem, which tells us that you can sample 1,6 MHz
wir 3,2 MSPS, and common amateur radio signals are generally far smaller
than 1,6 MHz. So the RTLSDR stick will probably be sufficient for most
of your experiments.

The USRP series is the upper end compared to the RTLSDR device. It
offers unimaginable possibilities in terms of sampling, and it can
generate signals just the same way. And the recent USRPs can produce any
arbitrary signal up to 6 GHz.

If you want to make real use of it, please still do consider to care for
efficient preselection, as the ADC will swallow a huge bandwidth and
consume all the energy that's out there. And it may turn out to rather
unsensitive if you have a strong transmitter somewhere in the spectrum.

For this reason, a good understanding of classical RF engineering will
not be useless, but that's what you will have learned as you hold an
Amateur Radio license.

The rest of the signal processing work will be completely new to what
most HAM license holders have learned to pass their license exams. In
fact, we don't work on alternating current any more, but on the time
discrete and amplitude discrete description of the alternating current.
In this sense we're just about to raise ourselves beyond the limitations
of alternating current and free ourselves from the laws of physics.

Example: A resistor divider will apply a division raio to the voltage,
but the multiplication with 0.5 just does the same. A transistor
amplifier will increase a voltage by a certain ratio. In terms of
digital signal processing, it is equivalent to a multiplication with a
factor >  1. Using maths instead of hardware will allow a much higher
degree of flexibility and versatility, and it's just a matter of
software what you eventually want to do.

It's a very recent revolution, and GNURadio together with the entire
range of recently available and in the meantime rather cheap devices
will allow us to participate.

best 73
markus
dl8rds