Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] ham/amateur getting started

From: Marcus D. Leech
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] ham/amateur getting started
Date: Fri, 25 Dec 2015 13:44:56 -0500

On 12/25/2015 09:18 AM, Ralph A. Schmid, dk5ras wrote:
Hi,

First of all, the USRP radios are kind of experimental radios, using them for real ham
radio operation on antennas will require filters and PAs. "Out of the box" it
will only be some proof of concept when you create a ham radio application with it.

All 50 ohms, no limitations other than upper and lower border, regarding
frequency. But connecting a roof-top antenna will most likely not work, due to
the lack of preselection, you will receive lots of images and other garble.

Ralph, dk5ras.
I think it boils down to "good RF hygiene is still important". Even if you had massive-amounts of excess dynamic range in the digital domain, you don't necessarily have that headroom in all the analog goo that is in front of all the digital "stuff".

When I'm doing RF projects with SDRs where I care about the reliability and consistency of the results, I pre-select with either commercial
  or DIY filters.

In the TX direction (which I don't do much of), you'll almost always need at least harmonic filtering--there isn't a synthesized superhet TX chain on the planet that doesn't have *some* amount of unwanted harmonic and spur energy, and if you're going to be amplifying it, cleanliness of what you're amplifying will not only reduce the amount of wasted power, it will eliminate complaints from other users of the spectrum, and possibly eliminate unwanted visits from the authorities.

Purpose-built radios have already taken care of this, at least in the TX direction, by using output filters that nicely knock-down unwanted mixing products and other spurs. That's nearly impossible to do in a "general, not-designed-for-specific-application" radio like your
  typical SDR.