Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] ham/amateur getting started

From: David McQuate
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] ham/amateur getting started
Date: Fri, 25 Dec 2015 10:02:42 -0800

Broadcast radio & TV transmitters, police & fire repeaters, and others have
potent signals.  If your system does not attenuate them, by using low-pass,
high-pass, or band-pass filters, the peak voltage at your analog to digital
converter may at times exceed "full scale".  The resulting non-linear response
produces many spurious signals, that may mask the typically weak signals you
are wanting to recieve.  An initial solution is to use broad-band attenuators
to keep the total power reaching the ADC below full scale.  Then observe the
spectral peaks and insert appropriate filters to knock them down.  The
attenuation may then be reduced.  Frequently AM broadcasters are the worst.  A
high-pass with cutoff around 1.6 MHz may be all you need.
Dave