Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Radio frequency range description list?

From: Tom Rondeau
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Radio frequency range description list?
Date: Tue, 2 Apr 2013 11:02:39 -0400

On Tue, Apr 2, 2013 at 10:51 AM, Alexandru Csete <address@hidden> wrote:
> Hi Andre,
>
> I think it would be a mistake to consider a no reply on this list as a
> general no to your question. Clearly, there must be such databases out
> there, otherwise maintaining things like the US Frequency Allocation
> Chart [1] or the ITU-RR [2] would be a nightmare. How you get the
> source of those publications I do not know. There are also smaller
> databases embedded in various SDR and other receiver software out
> there that could be a starting point.
>
> I foresee two significant challenges in implementing your idea:
> - Most of the spectrum is allocated for multiple uses
> - Allocations are in most cases made for specific uses but they do not
> necessarily imply a specific configuration
>
> I think it will be a big help for you to narrow down the scope as much
> as possible.
>
> [1]
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:United_States_Frequency_Allocations_Chart_2011_-_The_Radio_Spectrum.pdf
> [2] http://www.itu.int/pub/R-REG-RR

The FCC is doing a much better job providing this kind of information,
too. See the Spectrum Dashboard:
http://reboot.fcc.gov/reform/systems/spectrum-dashboard

There are APIs for automating access to their databases. I've hacked
around with this some, both with PHP and Python (and simple wgets),
and it's not bad; usable at least. But translating the data here into
usable information is going to be a trick.

I have a feeling other regulators, like OFCOMM, specifically, have
similar databases available for access.

Also look at www.tvfool.com. It's specific to TV signals, but there
might be something the learn from it.

I think you should definitely pursue this project and see where you
get. As Alex said, there's overlapping services, geographical
differences, and, I'm sure, just random things in there that are going
to make it hard. Which is probably a large part of why no one has done
it before. But maybe it just needs a bit of hacker mentality.

Tom