Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] More GSoC opportunities

From: Tom Rondeau
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] More GSoC opportunities
Date: Tue, 2 Apr 2013 10:57:22 -0400

On Mon, Apr 1, 2013 at 10:25 AM, Philip Balister <address@hidden> wrote:
> Hopefully these guys get accepted also:
>
> http://www.parallella.org/ideas/
>
> See the GNU Radio ideas.
>
> As some of you know, I have a similar idea on the GNU Radio page for
> Xilinx Zynq systems. If both of these projects are accepted into GSoC
> there should be considerable overlap in the part of the solution that
> interfaces with the GNU Radio data buffers.

Yes, it would be great if they were accepted as their own project so
they can focus on Parallella GSoC projects. And we should work with
them to identify the most expedient path to success here.

> I am pretty certain the core GNU Radio developers do not want to say two
> different approaches for interfacing closely coupled co-processors into
> GNU Radio.
>
> Philip

But I'm not sure I necessarily agree with this. This is a fairly
long-standing problem for us, and there have been plenty of attempts
at solving it. I'm not sure even now that we know the right thing to
do here.

Now, in the end, no, we don't want multiple solutions sitting out
there. But in the meantime, developing solutions from different
perspectives. There are lots of aspects to consider here, like
usability, efficiency, integration into GNU Radio, and more. We might
need a few ideas on how to do this right.

But more realistically, we should work together on this. I'm not going
to suggest that we have two groups compete for a solution to this
problem just for the hell of it.

Tom