Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Trouble building (32-bit Linux, volk-related?)

From: Josh Blum
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Trouble building (32-bit Linux, volk-related?)
Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2012 21:20:51 -0700

> Ok, now CMake builds volk without orc support and it seems to work.
> Given that there isn't an updated orc package for Ubuntu 10.10, what's
> the recommended course of action?
>
> a) Live without orc support. Does it make much of a difference on x86?
> The build-gnuradio script does not install or check for liborc.

Many of the volk kernels have SSE* implementations. So for x86, orc
doesnt give much benefit. But on a platform like arm, orc gives you neon
optimized routines where there were no neon specific kernels implemented.

> b) Install orc from source. Messy, and causes problems if you later
> install a package with a dependency on liborc.
>
> c) Install a newer liborc package from a PPA. A quick search of
> Launchpad didn't find any.

You may just be able to snag the liborc debian package from ubuntu
11.10. It only requires libc6, so it should be a harmless package upgrade.

> d) Get a newer distro. Personally I'm not ready to deal with this yet,
> and I suspect many users feel the same way because Ubuntu 10.10 is the
> last pre-Unity version.

Port of GNOME 2 to all new distros:
    http://cinnamon.linuxmint.com/?page_id=61

Walkthrough showing how it works: