Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Trouble building (32-bit Linux, volk-related?)

From: Tom Rondeau
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Trouble building (32-bit Linux, volk-related?)
Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2012 08:47:32 -0400

On Mon, Mar 19, 2012 at 11:11 PM, Ian Cullinan <address@hidden> wrote:
On Tue, 2012-03-20 at 04:58 +1100, Tom Rondeau wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 18, 2012 at 10:05 PM, Josh Blum <address@hidden>
> wrote:
>
> I just pushed a fix for this. Cmake now tests for the version number
> and autotools has been updated to check for the same version number.
>

> Thanks,
> Tom

Ok, now CMake builds volk without orc support and it seems to work.
Given that there isn't an updated orc package for Ubuntu 10.10, what's
the recommended course of action?

One of the problems is that Orc is still new and went through quite a bit of churn last year. There hasn't been an update in a while, so it looks like things are maybe stabilizing. But we obviously needed some newer features, so we had to push the acceptable version number up.

a) Live without orc support. Does it make much of a difference on x86?
The build-gnuradio script does not install or check for liborc.

Yeah, on x86 machines, you'll be fine.

b) Install orc from source. Messy, and causes problems if you later
install a package with a dependency on liborc.

I put a link to the download page at:
http://gnuradio.org/redmine/projects/gnuradio/wiki/Volk

I do this on my 10.10 machine.

c) Install a newer liborc package from a PPA. A quick search of
Launchpad didn't find any.

d) Get a newer distro. Personally I'm not ready to deal with this yet,
and I suspect many users feel the same way because Ubuntu 10.10 is the
last pre-Unity version.

Ubuntu 11.10 uses Orc 0.4.14. And you can remove/replace Unity and make it use Gnome 2.

Thanks,

Ian

Tom