Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] How to link gnuradio library with applications ou

From: Tom Rondeau
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] How to link gnuradio library with applications outside of gnuradio/usrp?
Date: Thu, 18 Aug 2011 08:32:39 -0400

On Wed, Aug 17, 2011 at 4:31 PM, Marcus M <address@hidden> wrote:
> @Alexander, thanks for your reply, it worked like a charm.
>
> On Wed, Aug 17, 2011 at 8:48 AM, Marcus Müller <address@hidden> wrote:
>>
>> Hi Marcus M (cool name, actually),
>>
>> gr_complex is an STL complex<float>, so you won't need the complete GR
>> core to use it:
>> gnuradio-core/src/lib/runtime/gr_complex.h:typedef std::complex<float>
>>  gr_complex;
>>
>> gri_fft requires only gr_complex (see above) and gr_sys_paths, which is
>> essentially replaceable by
>> string literals. (and boost filesystem&threads and fftw of course, but
>> those are not part of GR)
>>
>> By the way: You'll be benchmarking FFTW (float implementation)
>> complex2real fft, why would you want
>> to use it wrapped in gri_fft? Using FFTW is -after all- three lines of
>> code, using the benchmarking
>> functions one line more.
>
> I actually wanted to test my gnuradio block that performs acquisition of
> DSSS signals. As I am not sure how gprof works in gnuradio I thought i will
> use the same classes that I used for my block and test the block using a
> test code outside of gnuradio while retaining everything 'gnuradio' in it. I
> didn't want to change the code as I suspect that may result in performance
> difference.

Just FYI, in GNU Radio, it's probably easier to learn and use OProfile
than gprof (I actually think that's true in general, but you
specifically don't want to recompile GNU Radio just to work with
grpof).

http://oprofile.sourceforge.net/

You can use KCachegrind as a GUI interface to reports produced by
OProfile, which can give you some interesting visuals on the
performance.

Tom