[Discuss-gnuradio] Noise floor and Rx Gain

From: Yong J. Chang
Subject: [Discuss-gnuradio] Noise floor and Rx Gain
Date: Sat, 23 Jan 2010 09:48:02 -0800 (PST)

All,

I'm trying to set all USRP and RFX2400 parameters comparable with Micaz in
the context of receiver sensitivity. But I've observed a non-linear behavior
of ADC.

By using usrp_fft.py, we can see noise floor level. When I change a rx-gain
in a range of 0~45dB, noise floor level does not change. However, in a range
of 45~90dB, noise floor linearly increases according to rx-gain. Does this
affect receiver sensitivity? My thought is that high-gain of ADC introduces
additional noise figure. Please give me a clue. Thanks in advance.