Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Upgrade (downgrade?) to a Q6600 CPU

From: Marcus D. Leech
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Upgrade (downgrade?) to a Q6600 CPU
Date: Fri, 12 Dec 2008 19:48:57 -0500

Johnathan Corgan wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 11, 2008 at 1:46 PM, Marcus D. Leech <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> Yes.  The "thread-per-block" design by Eric allows, in many cases, for
> the flowgraph throughput to rise until an individual block consumes
> 100% of a single core.  This is a great improvement over the
> single-threaded scheduler that would rate-limit when an entire
> flowgraph of blocks consumed a single core.
>
> You can switch between the two for comparison:
>
> $ export GR_SCHEDULER=STS       # single-threaded-scheduler (old)
> $ export GR_SCHEDULER=TPB       # thread-per-block (new, default)
>
> -Johnathan

The CPU consumption behavior in my application appears to be that one
CPU is biased over the other
  three by almost 2:1.  No single CPU is consuming 100%, but the total
CPU consumption of the usrp_ra_receiver.py
  process hovers around 85-90%.

I'm working on getting a new motherboard with dual-channel RAM
capability, and the ability to drive my Q6600
  at a higher clock rate.

I think what's happening is that the I/O thread is going as fast as it
can, but it just isn't fast enough to service the
  data coming off of the USB.  Could it also be that my USB subsystem is
just not that good?

--

Marcus Leech
Principal Investigator, Shirleys Bay Radio Astronomy Consortium