[Discuss-gnuradio] Planning for the future

From: Marcus Leech
Subject: [Discuss-gnuradio] Planning for the future
Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2008 20:29:05 -0500

I'm currently doing some preliminary planning/budgeting for a significant project involving Gnu Radio:

My current thinking is to run dual polarization at the feedpoint, using USRP2.  The idea is that two USRP2s
  can live in a weatherproof enclosure at the feed, providing signals over GiGE to a pair of happy CPUs in the
  control room.  Still lots of unknowns, but I want to know what I should aim for when I go seeking funding.

I'm thinking that with quad-core systems becoming cheaper, perhaps a pair of quad-core signal processing
  engines (Q6600 or better), along with perhaps 2-4GB of memory on each system.

Right now, I'm getting by with a Pentium D 925 doing just fine with 8Mhz input bandwidth driving
  a sampled spectral display, and a total power display.   I wonder at what point the Gnu Radio stack
  will grow serious multi-threading capability (particularly in blocks like filters and FFTs), making multi-CPU
  systems a real bonus.

I think I recall that the re-write of the signal chain "plumbing" was partially to make multi-threading easier,
  yes?