Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Planning for the future

From: Eric Blossom
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Planning for the future
Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2008 11:12:26 -0800

On Wed, Feb 13, 2008 at 01:37:16PM -0500, Philip Balister wrote:
> On Feb 13, 2008 11:15 AM, Eric Blossom <address@hidden> wrote:
> > I expect to start on the "thread-per-block" scheduler either next week
> > or the week after.  This should enable us to make good use of SMP
> > machines.
>
> Hopefully, this question makes some sense, my background is in the SCA
> which is already a "thread per block" architecture.
>
> One of the things I find attractive about gnu radio is the flowgraphs
> ARE single threaded. Will it be possible to use single threaded flow
> graphs with a "block".  I'm concerned about increased end to end
> latency if you have a flowgraph with many blocks that need scheduling
> because they are running in separate threads.
>
> Philip

Don't get too hung up on a literal interpretation of
"thread-per-block".  That will probably be the first implementation,
but the goal is to best utilize SMP/SMT machines.  We could end up
with some kind of non-preemtive N user threads on M kernel threads model.

For the cell stuff we do need to be able to block in the work methods
while waiting for offloaded stuff to complete, so that puts an
additional constraint on the N on M model.

Eric