Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] SDR article: Missing no links

From: Benjamin J. Tarval
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] SDR article: Missing no links
Date: Mon, 3 Sep 2001 15:57:33 -0700

> From address@hidden  Mon Sep  3 09:25:00 2001
>
> How effective would a Java implementation be, if the computationally
> intensive parts were wrappered C code?  Java would certainly improve porting.

A good question, Steve. I'd expect a small performance hit; but nothing
to write home about. It depends on how it's done; but I wouldn't expect
a show-stopper if it was done properly.

I'm not that concerned about the porting issues, now that the QT libraries
have gone somewhat Open Source.

Also, one should note that with Microsoft dropping Java, there will an extra
issue to deal with for Java-based products. Hardly insurmountable, just
not as clean and well-defined as it used to be for Windows systems.

        -ben-