Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] SDR article: Missing no links

From: address@hidden
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] SDR article: Missing no links
Date: Wed, 05 Sep 2001 09:23:29 +0200

On Tue, 4 Sep 2001 22:58:35 -0700, Benjamin J. Tarval wrote:

>> The only difference I see is the new .NET platform, which could be an
>> alternative to Java.
>
>Indeed; but isn't it only an alternative to Java for Microsoft platforms?
>As opposed to cross-platform portability.

There are two projects for implementing .NET for Linux: Mono and
portableNET (dotGNU). So this will change.

>My impression is that Microsoft is starting to aggressively attempt to
>keep certain non-Microsoft technology (like GPL'd software) off their
>platforms, and attempting to limit non-Microsoft systems from interacting
>with theirs.

Yes, but .NET targets Java and because of this they have to be more
open. C# was submitted to ECMA as an open specification, Sun didn't do
this. Nevertheless I wouldn't trust Microsoft.

IIRC in .NET the bytecode is compiled to a native exe (by default or
optional, I don't know) which could improve performance.