Re: [Denemo-devel] Main window always on top

From: Richard Shann
Subject: Re: [Denemo-devel] Main window always on top
Date: Sun, 17 Jan 2016 18:20:32 +0000

On Sun, 2016-01-17 at 11:58 -0600, Jeremiah Benham wrote:
> For some reason my main entry window is always on top. It is on top of
> other applications as well. I cannot see any other denemo windows like
> print view or playback view and many of the other dialogs unless I
> minimize the main entry window. This is on Ubuntu using fluxbox wm. I
> noticed the same problems in darwin I believe. I was wondering if
> somewhere we are setting the main entry window to be on top of all the
> others. Is supposed to be a feature or is this something specific to
> my setup?

bug #46647: Typesetting window disappears when Typeset or Refresh
activated

bug #46646: Edit window tends to stay on top too often

bug #46391: Print view window is remaining on top of any other window.

bug #45756: denemo edit window stays in front

The only thing that really works is to have plenty of screen space (and
not to have a window manager with a radically different idea of how to
handle windows - I believe some make all popups full screen). It would
be interesting to know what might happen if we abandoned all hinting via
gtk about windows. The sort of problem people get is that they click on
a button to get a typeset and nothing happens - the typeset (when it
arrives) is hidden behind the main window. Or the click on the source
view to place a link in the Denemo Display and then want to be able to
continue typing in the Denemo Display (ie, not find their keypresses are
going into the ether being sent to the  Source window).
Trying to fix all this across multiple platforms is a nightmare.

Richard