Re: mauve results posted nightly

From: Stuart Ballard
Subject: Re: mauve results posted nightly
Date: Thu, 26 Dec 2002 14:47:48 -0500

Brian Jones wrote:

It's not a new problem, but I was able to ignore it before.  Now
japize stops dead in its tracks.  Because I know Classpath has this
$ClassFactory and JDK 1.4 does not... Jode must be reading something
in Classpath's .class files referencing this and trying to use
reflection to load it which fails under the JDK.  Again I used to see
this (and I ignored it) but it didn't cause japize to die as it does
now.

Did you ever get a chance to take a look into this? I have a few japicompat fixes that I'd like to make a release out of, but I don't want to make one with this problem still outstanding.

There are two approaches that I think may be worth pursuing here:

1) Email me the classfile(s) that are a problem (I guess java.lang.reflect.Proxy*.class) and I'll forward them to the Jode maintainer and see whether he has any ideas. A UTFDataFormatException suggests to me that the classfile itself is corrupted, or that the low levels of Jode's classfile reading are confused and expecting UTF data where there isn't any.

2) Try compiling Classpath, or perhaps just java.lang.reflect.Proxy, with a different java compiler. If it *is* an invalid classfile, it seems unlikely that two different compilers would both exhibit the same incorrect behavior.

Thanks,
Stuart.

--
Stuart Ballard, Programmer