Re: java.awt status LGPL -> GPL?

From: Tom Tromey
Subject: Re: java.awt status LGPL -> GPL?
Date: 30 Oct 2001 08:36:13 -0700

>>>>> "Mark" == Mark Wielaard <address@hidden> writes:

Paul> The AWT files that are part of the GCC release are GPL'd.  The
Paul> licensing information at the top of such files is incorrect.

Mark> Are you sure the libgcj people know about this?!?!

This is a recent development.

Mark> If anybody had clued me in that both versions were actually
Mark> under the same license I could have started merging a long long
Mark> time ago! (Although working on a GPLed implementation now that
Mark> we have a AWT implementation under a Apache style license
Mark> available, which Acunia seems to want to actually make GPL
Mark> compatible, does not make much sense to me anymore.)

I think merging is still premature, since I dispute RMS'
interpretation of the libgcj AWT license.  I also dispute the
contention that a GPL AWT is usable by random code.  I don't see how
that can be.

Mark> Could you please explain how AWT is defined?

I've always assumed it means `java.awt.*', including sub-packages.

Tom