Re: java.awt status LGPL -> GPL?

From: Mark Wielaard
Subject: Re: java.awt status LGPL -> GPL?
Date: Tue, 30 Oct 2001 02:53:13 +0100

Dear Paul,

On Mon, Oct 29, 2001 at 05:12:28PM -0800, Paul Fisher wrote:

> Sorry for not going into great detail, but I have a plane to catch
> (literally).  I'll comment more when I have some free time.

Please do when you have time.

I don't have a very good feeling about this and I hope you can take that
bad feeling away. I don't mind if this is actually a good decission for
the GNU project as a whole, but in that case I really have to see more
explanation of why this is a good move. I am very pessimistic about targeting
our GPLed library against a free beer library from Sun. I don't think this
will create more Free Software or cooperation between different free software
projects at the moment. There are a lot of Free JVMs that are currently
using or are trying to use a version of GNU Classpath as their standard
library implementation. I hope that switching to GPL for an (essential)
part of the library does not effect that.

Thanks,

Mark
--
Stuff to read: