Re: build ideas

From: Mark Wielaard
Subject: Re: build ideas
Date: Sun, 21 Oct 2001 21:07:03 +0200

Hi,

On Wed, Oct 17, 2001 at 01:51:54PM +0100, Nic Ferrier wrote:

> Personally, I don't like Ant. It's not *free* software either.
It Free Software. It is distributed under the Apache License.
Which is a Free Software license. This does make it GPL incompatible
since it includes the trademark license clauses which is a added restriction
according to the GPL. But since ANT is a standalonce tool which you will
probably never embed into a GPLed program I don't think this is such a
problem. For more info see:
<http://www.gnu.org/licenses/license-list.html#GPLIncompatibleLicenses>

> There's not much you can do with Ant that can't be done with Make
> (given a little thought).
>
> Ant is also very Java centric, Classpath has a lot of C (and C++ if we
> include the GCJ stuff). Make is perfect for those languages.
But this is a valid argument.
And even if we needed to only compile the java source code and generate
a zip/jar file Ant would be a bit overkill. In that case a classes @file,
a java compiler and a zip/jar tool are enough. Just put that into a simple
Makefile or shell script and you are done.

Cheers,

Mark

--
Stuff to read: