bayonne-devel

[Bayonne-devel] Capabilities Question

From: Tony Stocker
Subject: [Bayonne-devel] Capabilities Question
Date: Thu, 17 Mar 2005 15:23:30 -0500

Hello All,

I've been reading through the documentation on Bayonne, most of it is
way over my head at this point, and while I suspect that it can do
what my office needs I'm not sure since I'm getting lost in the
details.  I was hoping that I could get confirmation from the group
about whether our implementation idea is possible with Bayonne, and if
so get any recommendations on hardware and implementation scripts.

Scenario:
We are setting up a Linux-based PC to act as a system/network monitor
for a location that will process data 24/7 but only have 8x5 on-site
coverage.  We want the PC to be able to contact on-call personnel in
case it detects major problems.  The first contact attempts will be
made using email sent to text-message capable cellphones/PDA's.
However we've had occasions in the past where such emails did not
arrive for more than a day, and we have a 4 hour response requirement
for certain failures.  So we would like a second contact method to be
the Linux PC using an analog phone connection to call the on-call
personnel and either using a recorded audio file, or more preferably
verbally "reading" a generated text file.

I know, based on what I've read about Bayonne, that this type of
scenario is probably a very minor one, and a drop in the bucket
compared to its capabilities.  However I do need to make sure that it
is something we can do before we spend the money on the hardware for
it (recommendations on that are greatly appreciated too!)

So, can Bayonne do what we need?  If not, bummer.  If so, are there
any obvious things I need to consider for setting it up and can anyone
provide any sample scripts for how to do it?  Also, as mentioned,
hardware recommendations (i.e. Intel/Dialogic vs. Voicetronix vs.
Aculab) greatly appreciated.

Tony