axiom-legal

Re: [Axiom-legal] Re: GPL vs. modified BSD

From: C Y
Subject: Re: [Axiom-legal] Re: GPL vs. modified BSD
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2006 05:34:21 -0800 (PST)

"So my view is that either we hire a lawyer (don't look to me for a
donation) or we simply agree not to debate things we don't understand."

Second the motion.  No decision we can arrive at will mean anything if
someone tries to make an issue of it.

GCL's approach seems sensible to me - use the GPL bits, but make it
optional - e.g. it is possible to build and use GCL without only LGPL
code.  Axiom is buildable and usable now without GPL code, so retain
that functioning core and use GPL code to add additional functionality
(eg GSL).

In the world today, it seems that risk of legal action is like risk of
getting hit by a car - you can drive sensibly and minimize that risk by
not speeding, obeying traffic signs, (e.g. don't pirate software and
knowingly steal code) but you can't plan ahead by knowing every
direction a car might come at you along the whole of your trip.  You
can do everything right and still get hit, so beyond a certain point
you have to conclude you've done your best and start driving.

Cheers,
CY