axiom-legal

[Axiom-legal] GPL vs. modified BSD

From: Ralf Hemmecke
Subject: [Axiom-legal] GPL vs. modified BSD
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2006 12:32:59 +0100

Compatible just means what is written here:

http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html#WhatIsCompatible

What does it mean to say that two licenses are "compatible"?
In order to combine two programs (or substantial parts of them) into a larger work, you need to have permission to use both programs in this way. If the two programs' licenses permit this, they are compatible. If there is no way to satisfy both licenses at once, they are incompatible.

For some licenses, the way in which the combination is made may affect whether they are compatible--for instance, they may allow linking two modules together, but not allow merging their code into one module.

So this says something about whether the code can be combined.

As you can see, there is another paragraph right after it.

What does it mean to say a license is "compatible with the GPL".
It means that the other license and the GNU GPL are compatible; you can combine code released under the other license with code released under the GNU GPL in one larger program.

The GPL permits such a combination provided it is released under the GNU GPL. The other license is compatible with the GPL if it permits this too.

As I read the last paragraph, it is exactly as Gernot wanted to say. The resulting program must be released under GPL. I cannot read that the GPL allows to distribute the combined work under modified BSD.

Just curious: What _exactly_ would forbid to distribute Axiom under GPL?

Ralf