Re: [Axiom-developer] Axisp news

From: Stephen Wilson
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] Axisp news
Date: 27 Jun 2007 17:22:56 -0400

C Y <address@hidden> writes:

> --- Stephen Wilson <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> > Any suggestions, preferences, comments, etc very much appreciated!
>
> It looks like Lift has had a new release within the last few days - it
> might be worthwhile to inquire if the performance issues have been
> ironed out since the comparison article was written?  I agree it sounds
> very interesting but I think we should probably first figure out if the
> performance drop is something that can be avoided.

Initial comparisons are suggesting that the issue is specific to
SBCL, which appears to be the implementation on which the comparison
was based.

For reasons not clear to me, SBCL's CLOS requires a significant amount
of run-time initialization.  Once this process has completed, SBCL
runs very fast.

GCL does not appear to suffer from this.

Looking at the code for Lift further encourages to me to belive that
this is SBCL specific.

> Cheers,
> CY

Thanks,