Re: [Axiom-developer] Axisp news

From: Ralf Hemmecke
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] Axisp news
Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2007 01:11:02 +0200

Im not going to try and defend the idea, as I feel I can work with
simpler notions.  But 1 and + would be considered value identifiers.

You might be right, but what I will certainly do in a near future is an implementation of a domain whose elements are combinatorial species. That domain will be a semiring, so I will use + and 1 to denote the "elements" Plus
(http://www.risc.uni-linz.ac.at/people/hemmecke/AldorCombinat/combinatsu23.html#x37-550008.10)
and EmptySetSpecies (http://www.risc.uni-linz.ac.at/people/hemmecke/AldorCombinat/combinatsu17.html#x31-380008.4.1). As you see these identifiers actually denote not only domains but functions that return domains. Would you like me not to use 1 just because my elements would be domains?

Having the types as first class objects has the consequence that type can appear in places where you expect an "element".

However, I need to explore the use tuples exclusively to lift types
otherwise hidden by sope into an enclosing context.  I suspected that
type patterns would be generally useful but I like the simplicity of
Martins approach and will try to work with that.

Martin was just demonstrating ordinary use of a dependent type.

Ralf