Re: [Axiom-developer] Axisp news

From: Stephen Wilson
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] Axisp news
Date: 27 Jun 2007 14:40:33 -0400

C Y <address@hidden> writes:

> Stephen Wilson wrote:
>
> >     * One of the next sub-projects is to implement a testing framework
> >       based on one of the many unit-testing tools available to Lisp. I
> >       want to ensure that all aspects of the system are checked.
>
> That sounds like a good idea :-).  If you decide on a good one, perhaps
> we can standardize on it for other aspects of Lisp in Axiom.
>
> This is probably dated now, but perhaps it can be a starting point:
> http://wiki.alu.org/Test_Frameworks

I have explored several.  My current candidate is Lift:

           http://common-lisp.net/project/lift/

Main reasons. CLOS based, easy to extend. No real dependencies on
other libraries.  The code is easy to understand. It works under
gclcvs.  I have used it in smaller projects. Main issue is scalability
-- how well would it handle thousands of test cases?  I have read that
in comparison to other frameworks, Lift is a little bloated (see the
article linked below).

FiveAM is a good framework as well but requires several other
libraries.  I have yet to build it under gclcvs:

 http://common-lisp.net/project/bese/FiveAM.html

Lisp-unit is dirt simple, not as powerful as the other two, but I am
still considering it:

 http://www.cs.northwestern.edu/academics/courses/325/readings/lisp-unit.html

I found the following quite useful, giving a good overview of the
`leading contenders' in the lisp unit-testing world:

http://aperiodic.net/phil/archives/Geekery/notes-on-lisp-testing-frameworks.html

Any suggestions, preferences, comments, etc very much appreciated!

Thanks,
Steve