Re: [Axiom-developer] Automated version update

From: Gabriel Dos Reis
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] Automated version update
Date: Tue, 26 Jun 2007 16:45:28 -0500 (CDT)

On Tue, 26 Jun 2007, Martin Rubey wrote:

| Dear Gaby,
|
| Gabriel Dos Reis <address@hidden> writes:
|
| >   It is obvious to me that automated version updated can run as follows:
| >
| >     * daily bump: anywhere, preferably a machine that is almost always
| >         up -- we can use the cron job facility at SF.
|
| Yes, of course.  But suppose that Mrs. Xyz commits at 12:34 GMT, the cron job
| runs at 23:59 GMT and Mrs. Uvw checks out inbetween.

I don't understand what the concrete practical problem is.  We have been using
this scheme for a decade now.  Most certainly, GCC has far more developers,
check out, check in activity than Axiom had or will ever have.

| By the way, I just realised that I do not understand completely: you propose
| have one file "version" for each branch, that is modified by a cron job on SF,
| if and only if the revision has changed.

By daily version update, I mean the "2006-06-26" date stamp.  That
happens at most once a day, and is a string manipulation in a source file --
see the script I sent.

|  (More precisely, whenever
|
|   LC_ALL=C svn info | grep "Last Changed Rev:"
|
| has changed.)
|
| But, if this file is under version control, wouldn't that update trigger
| another revision number?

Yes, and that is why nobody want to do that. :-)

For the SVN revision number in a release, I suggested that it is put in place
when the release is done, so the release script can use svnversion (which
retrieves the revision number of the checked out path).

-- Gaby