Re: [Axiom-developer] Automated version update

From: Ralf Hemmecke
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] Automated version update
Date: Tue, 26 Jun 2007 18:21:44 +0200

Hi Gaby, Cliff, Martin,

isn't that a bit of overkill if the script updates every file?

SVN is different from CVS, there are global revision numbers. So it is simply enough if there is one file that contains some specific version information. (I guess the same is true for any newer SCM like git etc.)

So for SVN I would prefer if for every checkin there runs a script that together with the changes also modifies a file VERSION (or whatever the name would be) that makes sure that the new revision number is include in the VERSION file of the branch so that any checkout whether with SVN or SVK gets via update or checkout the correct information in that file. How git is set up to update such a VERSION file is up to the people working with git. I think the only thing we should agree on is what information should be in that file and how should it be structured so that it is (in format) independent of the underlying SCM and thus the information would be *generically* available for the build process.
That information could be used to produce the banner and should work for
"axiom --version".

Ralf