[Axiom-developer] Automated version update

From: Gabriel Dos Reis
Subject: [Axiom-developer] Automated version update
Date: Tue, 26 Jun 2007 11:43:51 -0500 (CDT)

Martin --

  It is obvious to me that automated version updated can run as follows:

    * daily bump: anywhere, preferably a machine that is almost always
        up -- we can use the cron job facility at SF.

    * release with version number:  this should be done when the
        release is made -- it cannot be wrong.  Therefore it runs
        on the machine that makes the release.  From GCC exprience,
        we have a script, $GCC/maintainer-scripts/gcc_release
        that we use to roll release.  I've extensive experience
        with that sort of things, and on two occasions I was thankful
        that the process is automated.

    * inclusion of global revision number:  in principle, this runs
        on the SVN server, which means SF.  I'm not sure, but I was under
        the impression that SF has disabled that service.  One would
        have to check.

So, it looks to me that the problem has a maximum solution :-)