Re: [Axiom-developer] Local MathAction

From: Ralf Hemmecke
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] Local MathAction
Date: Tue, 10 Jan 2006 17:00:44 +0100

Hi Bill,

texbreaker.mak is ...

swig -python texbreaker.i
gcc -fpic -c texbreaker.c texbreaker_wrap.c -I/usr/include/python2.3
ld -shared texbreaker.o texbreaker_wrap.o -o _texbreaker.so

I had to install swig (www.swig.org). Fortunately there was a Debian package.

Do you use

  apt-get install swig

?

I think that should work. I usually use 'dselect'. I found 'swig' there.

I also had to
gcc -fpic -c texbreaker.c texbreaker_wrap.c -I/usr/include/python2.2
instead of
gcc -fpic -c texbreaker.c texbreaker_wrap.c -I/usr/include/python2.3

Everything worked fine up to here.

Can't you simply change texbreaker.mak? Or does it work for some good
reason with python2.3 on your machine?

Great! You are about half-way there ... :)

Well, it would be easier if one does not have to modify files like
ReplaceInlineLatex.py or axiomWrapper.py.

Wouln't it also be an option to provide a dummy "reduce" script which
accepts some (Reduce) input and always outputs a string in Reduce
format, saying that Reduce is not installed. Could you provide such a
shell script?

But which URL should I write into firefox in order to now browse
MathAction locally? I somehow fear that the webpages are not yet on
my computer. Where is the MathAction FrontPage?

Any hints?

Well, this is a quesition of a different sort... :) What you
appear to be asking is how to run the wiki software.

Ehm, maybe I don't understand MathAction correctly. What I actually want is a snapshot of the MathAction pages. And if I could have all the functionality of running Axiom through a local webserver (without actually being connected to the internet then all the better. The SnapShot that Bill Page provided as an archive of HTML pages is not completely satisfactory.

> I presume
that you did previously install Zope, right? So to start Zope
need to do

  $INSTANCE_HOME/bin/zopectl start

This starts the server process and is the way you should normally
start the server. But it might be better to start with

  $INSTANCE_HOME/bin/runzope

which runs zope as a process in your current session and gives
some useful console output. You should see some warning messages
but no error messages.

I followed the steps at http://wiki.axiom-developer.org/InstallingMathAction
where it finally says:
6) Restart zope: /etc/init.d/zope restart

Of course, I have installed zope before. 'apt-get install zope' should do for debian sarge.

/etc/init.d/zope restart

has to be called as 'root'. And did not give me any return message.

You should now be able to access the Zope management interface
from a web browser on your system via the url

  http://localhost:8080

(port 8080 is the default port for Zope)

Does not work. I see a page in FireFox:
Unable to connect
Firefox can't establish a connection to the server at localhost:8080.

If all is well, then you will need to use this interface to add
new "Zwiki" object called 'mathaction' with the (*) latexwiki
option checked off.

Hmm, this sounds as if I get MathAction without the same content I see at http://wiki.axiom-developer.org/FrontPage. Where is this content? And where could I download it from for offline use?

Ralf