RE: [Axiom-developer] RE: windows/linux coherency

From: Page, Bill
Subject: RE: [Axiom-developer] RE: windows/linux coherency
Date: Tue, 21 Dec 2004 10:00:00 -0500

On Tuesday, December 21, 2004 9:38 AM Andrey G. Grozin

> On Tue, 21 Dec 2004, Page, Bill wrote:
> > Do you know how to create an rpm that works on all three
> > "rpm-style" distributions? Or do you know a good "how-to"
> > document? Would you be willing to help me prepare such an
> > rpm for Axiom on Linux?
> I used RedHat for years, and made my own rpms for it. Not
> difficult. At the moment, it would be easy to produce an
> rpm which would work on RHEL3 and similar systems, and on
> Fedora - they are quite similar.

Ok, great. I think that making such an rpm would indeed be
good progress. Would it be possible for you to do a "first
draft" of such an rpm? Then you could send it to me and
I could see if I understand the process and try to install
it on one of my RedHat systems.

> "Native" Mandrake rpms typically use a lot of Mandrake-specific
> macros, and won't build on RedHat. In the other direction,
> things must be much easier, and most probably a RedHat rpm
> will be OK for Mandrake and its derivatives (ALTLinux etc.).

Ok, that can be a secondary goal.

> Haven't much experience with SUSE other as a non-privileged
> user (I'm writing this at a SUSE box), cannot say about
> constructing rpms for it.

No problem. I know several people are using Axiom successfully
built from source on Suse. I think there was a significant
issue regarding clib or some such.

RPM for suse could be goal #3.

> > Fedora has some variant of apt-get doesn't it? I don't
> > suppose a Debian/Fedora package is possible though, eh?
> No. Fedora uses apt-get to install rpms, not debs.

Ok, thanks. I was clearly confused.