RE: [Axiom-developer] RE: windows/linux coherency

From: Andrey G. Grozin
Subject: RE: [Axiom-developer] RE: windows/linux coherency
Date: Tue, 21 Dec 2004 20:38:12 +0600 (NOVT)

On Tue, 21 Dec 2004, Page, Bill wrote:
> Do you know how to create an rpm that works on all three
> "rpm-style" distributions? Or do you know a good "how-to"
> document? Would you be willing to help me prepare such an
> rpm for Axiom on Linux?
I used RedHat for years, and made my own rpms for it. Not difficult. At
the moment, it would be easy to produce an rpm which would work on RHEL3
and similar systems, and on Fedora - they are quite similar. "Native"
Mandrake rpms typically use a lot of Mandrake-specific macros, and won't
build on RedHat. In the other direction, things must be much easier, and
most probably a RedHat rpm will be OK for Mandrake and its derivatives
(ALTLinux etc.). Haven't much experience with SUSE other as a
non-priviledged user (I'm writing this at a SUSE box), cannot say about
constructing rpms for it.

> Debian we already have - Thanks to Camm Maguire.
Yes, this is very good. So, Debian, Ubuntu etc. people can rest assured
:-)

> Fedora has some variant of apt-get doesn't it? I don't
> suppose a Debian/Fedora package is possible though, eh?
No. Fedora uses apt-get to install rpms, not debs.

Andrey