Re: [Axiom-developer] Re: literate programming pamphlet files for MathAc

From: Martin Rubey
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] Re: literate programming pamphlet files for MathAction
Date: Thu, 30 Sep 2004 10:51:23 +0000

Hi Ralf,

my suggestion concerns only the (future) presentation of pamphlet files on the
mathaction wiki.

On the other hand, great that you are pointing out an aldor mode for emacs. If
this mode really supports pamphlet files, this would be pretty.

Ralf HEMMECKE writes:

 > There are some attempts to extract the ++ and +++ documentation from
 > Aldor .asy files and transform them finally to html. This goes under the
 > name AldorDoc, but is not very much advance yet. Unfortunately, Yannis
 > Chicha has no time to make progress with AldorDoc.

In an ideal world, the documentation of Aldor and Axiom will be done with the
same tool. It seems to me, that the pamphlet + mathaction wiki approach is
quite sophisticated.

Unfortunately it seems that quite some work has been done more than once. It
seems that aldoc and the pamphlet approach are quite similar. Maybe we could at
least reuse the aldoc latex class for Axiom...

 > "What kind of structure should ++ comments have?"  Note that if these
 > documentation comments are processed automatically, there should be some
 > tags so that the documentation compiler knows where to link some names to or
 > how to typeset certain pieces of the documentation.

Yes.

 > Personally, I would very much like to get the functionality of JavaDoc, but
 > unfortunately ++ comments might become unreadable in the .pamphlet file
 > (which is undesirable).

why do you think that they might become unreadable?

 > But here people of Axiom and Aldor should work together so that they
 > come up with ONE nice suggestion and program that produces a online
 > version of the category hierarchy

Yes.

Martin