Re: [avrdude-dev] [bug #30559] Ft232 bit-bang support

From: René Liebscher
Subject: Re: [avrdude-dev] [bug #30559] Ft232 bit-bang support
Date: Tue, 17 Jan 2012 08:23:50 +0100

Hi,

on the mentioned web page only the ft232/245 bit bang mode is used.

But I had a closer look in the linked serjtag-0.3.zip. The serjtag is an
ft245r which is connected to an attiny2313 in parallel mode. And this attiny
implements a protocol to write/read SPI data. The SPI data are connected to
lines named the usual JTAG names, so its primary purpose is obviously to be
used as JTAG debugger. But as ISP is also SPI it can be used for this
purpose too. From avrdude’s point of view it implements a serial protocol
(which goes over USB to the FT245r and over parallel to the attiny, so it is
probably faster than any real serial connection in between)

The ft245r patch was later added on a patched avrdude (which already had
added the serjtag patch). So everyone who wanted to use the ft245/233r
bitbang mode had always downloaded the serjtag patch too. And at putting the
the patch in avrdude’s patch tracker, the two different patches became one.

So if you really have this serjtag programmer for testing we can add it with
this patch, otherwise we should left it out and may be move it in a separate
patch.

Kind regards

René Liebscher

  _____