Re: [avrdude-dev] [bug #30559] Ft232 bit-bang support

From: David Harris
Subject: Re: [avrdude-dev] [bug #30559] Ft232 bit-bang support
Date: Mon, 16 Jan 2012 16:58:00 -0800

Hi--

I think sertag is referring to this Arduino project:
http://www.geocities.jp/arduino_diecimila/bootloader/index_en.html

Explanation: Arduinos usually use a serial bootloader to load 'Sketches'
into the hardware.  However, in the unfortunate event that the bootloader
is damaged, the user is forced to use ICSP (in circuit serial programming)
or high-voltage programming.  This involves additional hardware.

Fortunately, many Arduino boards use the FT232RL for usb-serail, and with a
little jumpering, this can be used to program the raw mpu. Some boards, eg
the LEDuino (www.siliconrailway.com), have hardware that connects the
appropriate FT232RL lines to the ICSP.

I have the resources to test the patch, and would be glad to do so.

David Harris