Re: [avr-chat] AVRISP mkII on Mac OSX

From: Ned Konz
Subject: Re: [avr-chat] AVRISP mkII on Mac OSX
Date: Sun, 12 Feb 2006 11:43:51 -0800

On Feb 12, 2006, at 11:08 AM, Chris Pontiga wrote:

I received my AVRISP mkII yesterday (finally), and I am trying to get
it set up on my Mac with AVRDUDE.  I had been using 5.0, however I
realized that the programmer-id avrisp2 was not recognized.  I then
installed 5.1 which had avrisp2 listed in avrdude.conf, but still no
luck accessing the usb.  I have tried -P usb, and -P USB,  but all I
get is:

avrdude: ser_open(): can't open device "usb": No such file or directory

I read somewhere that libusb is needed, so I tried that as well.  But
then while installing 0.1.11, I received the error:

darwin.c:70:2: error: #warning "libusb being compiled for 10.3 or later"
make[1]: *** [darwin.lo] Error 1
make: *** [install-recursive] Error 1

I am running OSX Tiger, so I guess it is not supported?  However, I
did get 0.1.10a to install successfully.  I then tried to rebuild and
install avrdude 5.1, but still no luck with the mkII.

Are you sure that the configure found libusb? I had to delete the configure.cache first (and make sure that I added the lib directory containing libusb to the configure switches).

You can check to see if the program wants to load libusb using otool:

neds_mini:~ ned$ otool -l /sw/bin/avarice | grep -i usb
         name /sw/lib/libusb-0.1.4.dylib (offset 24)

neds_mini:~ ned$ otool -l /sw/bin/avrdude | grep -i usb

So my build of avrdude doesn't use libusb, but my avarice does.

Has anyone been successful in using any Atmel USB programmers with
avrdude in a linux/Mac OSX environment?  Am I using the -P port option
correctly with the usb? I have seen that the JTAGICE mkII is supported
in avrdude.  Is accessing the usb similar to that?

Well, I and others have tried the ATJTAGEICE mkII (which luckily also has a serial port) with Avarice and libusb, and it tends to hang pretty quickly, or just aborts. Looks like it wants to work, though.

Unfortunately, the ATAVRISP mkII doesn't have a serial port.

It would be great to get setup with my mkII on my Mac, and not have to
carry around the bigger clunky STK500.  Any suggestions would be
greatly appreciated!!

It would be great if you could get libusb to work with these tools! I reported the problems with libusb and avarice to the avarice-user list, but no one has attacked the problem that I know of.

--
Ned Konz
address@hidden