RE: GNU packs with generated README

From: Ronald Landheer
Subject: RE: GNU packs with generated README
Date: Sat, 14 Sep 2002 17:49:18 +0200

Ah.. in that case I misunderstood your saying "please promote using
autoreconf for bootstrapping": I thought you wanted to replace the
bootstrap script with a call to autoreconf. I was saying that we
can't do that.. As you apparently didn't mean to say that we should,
I guess we agree :)

Ronald

NB: would the README problem be solved if we add README to
    ``$configure_dist_common'' and remove it from address@hidden''
    or would that mess up the usenet shars? (I don't think so, but I
    haven't tested it). It'd have to be removed from
    &check_gnu_standards as well, but as it would be a distri target,
    dist build would fail with "No rule to make target README" if
    there is no README there.
    Alternatively, the Makefile.am would have to be scanned for a
    target README, and README would be required if not a target.
    There's already the $RULEPATTERN regex that could be used to scan
    the Makefile.am file in the package root directory..