Re: GNU packs with generated README

From: Tim Van Holder
Subject: Re: GNU packs with generated README
Date: 06 Sep 2002 16:30:35 +0200

On Fri, 2002-09-06 at 13:37, Ronald Landheer wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I'm trying to bootstrap a package that is "almost" completely compliant with
> the GNU coding standards: the only difference with a normal GNU pack is that
> the README file is generated (from a perlpod file). This is meant to make it
> easier to make the same kind of file in a manpage (section 7), HTML page, etc.
>
> My bootstrap script looks like this:
>
> -- BEGIN ./bootstrap --
> #! /bin/sh
> set -x
> aclocal
> autoheader
> automake -i --add-missing --copy
> autoconf
> --- END ./bootstrap ---
>
> and my Makefile.am like this (for as far as the README is concerned):
>
> -- BEGIN Makefile.am section --
> README : Hash.7.pod README.in
>         pod2text $< > $@
>         cat README.in >> $@
> --- END Makefile.am section ---
>
> What I'd like to know is whether it is possible to keep the GNU (--gnu)
> standards for Automake's checking, but not have it look at README while
> bootstrapping: if it every should fail to "build" README, it wouldn't be
> able to `make`, but bootstrapping should still work if one of the
> required files is a make target, IMHO.
>
> The reason I want to keep the --gnu strictness is that I want --add-
> missing to work, as I don't want to have the GNU COPYING files, etc. in
> my CVS.
>
> Any pointers would be very welcome.

An obvious, though not very elegant, solution would be to bootstrap like
this instead:

--
#!/bin/sh

noreadme=
test -f README || noreadme=yes
test x$noreadme = x || touch README
set -x
aclocal
autoheader
automake -i --add-missing --copy
set +x
test x$noreadme = x || rm README
--

Also, if Makefile.am are are typically a valid format for make, you may
get away with doing

make -f Makefile.am README

(or some variant on it) in your bootstrap script (though this may
require GNU make if Makefile.am uses += for example).