Re: [autoconf] Re: pkg-config wisdom

From: Bob Friesenhahn
Subject: Re: [autoconf] Re: pkg-config wisdom
Date: Fri, 23 Oct 2009 09:56:13 -0500 (CDT)

On Fri, 23 Oct 2009, address@hidden wrote:

The most popular scenario I think is: the pkg-config
itself is bundled to the system (/usr/bin/pkg-config etc)
but the users install their own libraries to non-system
directory (e.g. /usr/local/xxx), and the users slipped
to set PKG_CONFIG_PATH manually.

There is also a problem when an updated version of just one library is installed under a different path but an older version of this library is located elsewhere and refered by some other package's configuration. Configure scripts which trust pkg-config include and library paths and simpy concatenate them together (often in some random order) cause big problems for users since the user has no control over the paths used.

I have found this to be a nightmare under Solaris 10 which has an older Gnome environment, but some packages want to link with newer libraries and don't need all of Gnome. The only workaround has been to temporarily rename system files.

This is not to say that pkg-config doesn't work well; it is just best for a carefully built and well integrated environment rather than one incrementally put together over time.

Bob
--
Bob Friesenhahn