Re: [patch] Keep executability of config.status-ed files v4

From: Eric Sunshine
Subject: Re: [patch] Keep executability of config.status-ed files v4
Date: Thu, 11 Dec 2003 10:15:07 -0500

On Thu, 11 Dec 2003 07:42:25 +0100, Jan Kratochvil wrote:
> I found out now that 'break' is documented by "Limitations of Shell
> Builtins" as compatible, therefore here is a patch copying the permissions
> of the FIRST file of $ac_file_inputs.
> +    rm -f $ac_file
> +dnl Keep 'executable' attribute.
> +    for f in $ac_file_inputs; do
> +      cp $f $ac_file
> +      chmod u+w $ac_file
> +      break
> +    done
> +    cat $tmp/out >$ac_file

This looks fine to me.  Perhaps change the comment to "Propagate
'executable' attribute of first input file."  Note also that you can access
the first element of $ac_file_inputs as so:

ac_first_input=`set X $ac_file_inputs; echo $[2]`

It is a question of personal test whether this is a clearer or more obscure
method of accessing the first file.  It is certainly a bit slower since it
invokes a subshell.  (Note that the $[2] becomes $2 in the generated
configure script.)

-- ES