Re: Ways to speed up configure

From: Bob Friesenhahn
Subject: Re: Ways to speed up configure
Date: Thu, 11 Dec 2003 09:36:49 -0600 (CST)

The best way to speed up configure on Windows '98 is to upgrade to a
newer version of Windows. :-)

Quite seriously, Windows '98 is *terrible* at spawning subprocesses,
particularly since it must constantly update the DOS window with the
name of the currently running program.  The only way to make configure
run significantly faster under Windows '98 is to put the configure
script on a diet so it doesn't execute so many commands.

Bob

On Thu, 11 Dec 2003, Dalibor Topic wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I'm currently playing around with kaffe's CVS on Cygwin, and I find
> myself spending hours running the configure script over and over again,
> since Cygwin on Win98 is not very pleasant ;) The trouble is that I can
> do a full build of kaffe on linux on the same PC in 15 mins, including
> the configure run, but it takes at least 2 hours for configure alone to
> run through on Cygwin, when it doesn't crash.
>
> So I'm wondering about ways to speed up configure, in particular on
> Cygwin, or ideas how to improve the configure.in checks for headers,
> functions, libtool etc. I'm using autoconf 2.58.
>
> cheers,
> dalibor topic

Bob Friesenhahn
address@hidden