Re: [patch] Keep executability of config.status-ed files

From: Eric Sunshine
Subject: Re: [patch] Keep executability of config.status-ed files
Date: Wed, 10 Dec 2003 15:42:56 -0500

On Wed, 10 Dec 2003 15:20:48 -0500, Daniel Jacobowitz wrote:
> Well, systems where ls -ld behaves differently aren't all that
> uncommon.  For instance, on some AFS installations you'll get only
> three bits of permission instead of the usual nine.  Personally, I'd
> just mark everything executable if test -x didn't work.

That would not be an especially nice solution.  For instance, I regularly
work in enviornments where the behavior of double-clicking on a file's icon
is in part determined by its "executable" bit.  In such environments,
double-clicking on a file with the executable bit set results in the system
trying to "run" the file, even if the file is not a program or script, rather
than opening the file with an appropriate application (such as a text
editor).  It would be rather annoying to double-click on a generated
Makefile, for example, expecting it to be opened in a text editor, only to
have the system try to "run" it instead.

-- ES