autoconf-archive-maintainers

Re: Discrimination

From: Peter Simons
Subject: Re: Discrimination
Date: Fri, 07 Aug 2009 00:28:38 +0200

Hi Francesco,

 >> After all, we are not aiming for an ISO 9000 certificate.
 >
 > Don't take me for a boring coordinator advocate or a brain-damaged
 > testing engineer. I'm not that sort of person.

don't worry, I never had that impression. I completely agree with your
suggestion on principle. Extensive changes like Reuben is doing are
likely to introduce a subtle bug or two, even if it's just a typo. That
kind of thing just happens and there's not much anyone can do to prevent
that. If we'd have a regression test suite in place before doing those
changes, then we could increase our chances of catching those bugs right
away significantly . That's perfectly sensible software engineering.

Anyway, the Autoconf Archive has gained some momentum recently and I am
really happy about that. In a very short time frame, you guys have
contributed quite a lot. Keeping that momentum going is the most
important thing to me right now. The regression test suite feels like a
mid-term project; something that will take a couple of weeks to
implement. I just felt that it would be unfortunate to delay Reuben's
efforts for so long.

I guess my comment about ISO 9000 was a little over the top. :-)

Take care,
Peter