autoconf-archive-maintainers

Re: Discrimination

From: Francesco Salvestrini
Subject: Re: Discrimination
Date: Tue, 4 Aug 2009 19:14:01 +0200

On Monday 03 August 2009, Peter Simons wrote:
> Reuben Thomas wrote:
>  > Let us by all means have a regression test suite, but let us not wait
>  > for it. We can do all sorts of hacking on the head and it won't
>  > greatly inconvenience any of us or anyone else, nor will particular
>  > orderings of the projects suggested so far save much work later, I'd
>  > suggest.
>
> yes, I agree. A good regression test suite would certainly help a lot to
> improve the quality of our contents, but I wouldn't want to make that a
> precondition for the cleanup effort. If we build a regression test suite
> based on the cleaned-up contents, it will be just as good for all
> practical purposes. After all, we are not aiming for an ISO 9000
> certificate.

Don't take me for a boring coordinator advocate or a brain-damaged testing
engineer. I'm not that sort of person.

I was looking for the minimum coordination that keeps life easier, nothing
more. There was no intention for huge regression tests before starting "all
sorts of hacking on the head" even if I still don't like the idea of
free-running commits there.

Maybe a different branch for "extensive" ongoing projects could keep a good
partitioning, giving us back better tracking, reviewing and parallel working
capabilities. A 'cleanup' branch could be the starting one (to be removed
after merging on the head).

Francesco

--
"I remember when I was a kid I used to come home from Sunday School and
 my mother would get drunk and try to make pancakes."