aspell-user

[Aspell-user] Re: [Aspell-user] Aspell with Emacs

From: Kevin Atkinson
Subject: [Aspell-user] Re: [Aspell-user] Aspell with Emacs
Date: Fri, 4 Oct 2002 11:08:42 -0400 (EDT)

On Fri, 4 Oct 2002, arthur.chereau wrote:

> > > Accented letters are not checked in emacs. Only the non accented part of
> > > the word is. Maybe this is because I use ISO-8859-15, but when I switch
> > > to latin1 in emacs and have LC_ALL=fr_FR (not @euro) there's no
> > > difference.
> >
> > Are you saying that the word gets split in two or more pieces when there
> > is an accent in the word?
>
> Yes. Let's use the following emacs buffer, which is correct:
> "bonjour électricité"
> When I call ispell-buffer, it says "Spell-checking done"
> When I call ispell-word on "électricité", aspell highlights "lectricit" and
> makes suggestions based on "lectricit".

This is probably an ispell.el problem, furthermore I have a strong felling
it will do the same thing when ispell is uses.

> Now let's introduce an error:
> " bonjour electricité"
> - ispell-buffer complains "Ispell misalignment: word `electricité' point 9;
> probably incompatible versions"
> - ispell-word on "electricité" checks "electricit"

I have seen this "misalignment" error before.  Could you please give me a
test file and the exact steps you took.

> -d fr-lrg works, as fr-lrg is a dictionary.
>
> What I would like to do is:
> - when I check with lang=fr_FR, automatically check with the fr_FR-80
> dictionary
> - when I check with lang=en_US, automatically check with the en_US-w-accents
> dictionary
>
> So I wrote an aspell.conf file with:
> size            80
> jargon        w-accents
> I don't know if this is enough to tell aspell to automatically select
> fr_FR-80 and en_US-w-accents when I set the language.

Should be.  Setting preferences on a language by language basis is
something I hope to add in the future.

> Now, when I set (ispell-change-dictionary "fr_FR-80") in .emacs, I get
> an "Undefined dictionary: fr_FR-80". I don't understand why as fr_FR-80
> is a dictionary, not a language. But if I set (ispell-change-dictionary
> "francais"), then it works, although "francais" seems to be a language.
> I don't know if "francais" is the ispell.el name for "fr_FR" and then,
> if the fr_FR-80 dictionary is automatically selected.

I believe the problem is that ispell.el has a set list of dictionaries that
it accepts and it is too brain dead to accept anything not on its list.
If you look in the aspell lib dir you should notice a alias called
francais, this is why using francais works.

---
http://kevin.atkinson.dhs.org