alsa-xmms-user

Re: [Alsa-xmms-user] dmix plugin / will it work one day?

From: Matthieu Sozeau
Subject: Re: [Alsa-xmms-user] dmix plugin / will it work one day?
Date: Sat, 14 Jun 2003 09:05:20 +0200

On Saturday 14 June 2003 08:21, Steve Leung wrote:
> On 2003/06/13 23:00:24 +0000, Matthieu Sozeau wrote:
> > I tested the same configuration and have no problems at all
> > (play/stop/pause/seek works, mplayer+xmms also). I still see, as
>
> Matthieu, what sound hardware are you testing with?  I don't know all
> that much about ALSA, but I imagine there are some cards that allow
> multiple processes to open the sound device.  My hardware only allows
> one process to open the sound device (cmipci on an ASUS A7S333
> motherboard).  I wonder if my cheap sound hardware is making this
> problem appear.

Maybe, i tried on my brothers hardware (CM8738 card) to check. I use the
ymfpci module myself and it allows multiple processes for the same device.

> I wrote a test program to try to confirm the problem.  It opens and
> closes the default sound device in one thread, and later opens and
> closes the same sound device in a separate thread.  If dmix is enabled
> as the default output device, the program consistently hangs on my box
> when it calls snd_pcm_open the second time, much like alsa-xmms.
> Once I disable dmix, the program runs to completion.
>
> This seems like very bizarre behaviour to me, so I've sent this code
> to the alsa-user mailing list to see if I'm doing anything wrong.
> I've included the source below.  Perhaps you can also try it.

I tried on my machine and it never hangs, it does on my brother's box.
I'll look at that more deeply today... when he'll stop watching TV :)

--
It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
                -- Steven Wright

                        address@hidden